Monday 9 January 2012

Mooncast Rainbows

A high bright moon, just over full (they call this phase waning gibbous) lit my route along the lane to the horses at 6am this morning.  The air was fresh but very moist and high overhead in the sky in front of me arched a mooncast rainbow.  I've not seen one of these for many years and it was absolutely beautiful, its arc-bands in different tones of a kind of purple rather than in definitely different colours.

Look up, if ever you're out walking in the dark of a winter's night and there's rain in the offing but the moon's full and bright behind you.  Look up, enjoy yet another of nature's free lightshows and be glad to be alive.

3 comments:

  1. You paint a beautiful picture with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know there was such a thing! (Shaming admission for a farm girl I know) I'll be on the lookout from now on as you've made it seem a real 'must see' event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. Is this the blog of the woman who was over at mine nagging because I hadn't posted for two whole days???? ;-)

    ReplyDelete