Monday 2 January 2012

A Room with a View



This is the view today from my kitchen window.  I love it.

Three weeks ago all I could see was a tree-hedge the height of the remains of the offending article to the back right of the photo.

For many years, the owner of that hedge refused to have it cut down, despite my neighbour and me offering to help pay for the work. Poor Mrs A had bought her cottage for this view but and within a few years had lost it, completely in summer and partially in winter - until the Americans solved the problem. They'd bought another cottage just out of sight to the left and the 30ft wild and unruly 'hedge' was blocking their view entirely.

They set to doing The Obvious Thing: they bought the field as well.  They got a local chap and his boys to cut and lay the hedge and burn off the rubbish.  It looks a little stark now, in the dark January light but come spring, all will be well again.

Now we've all got our lovely view of the hills back!  I can see the 800 year old oak tree (it's dead, but one of its daughters is growing in its bowl) and the buzzards that land on it. I can see the deer as they pass through, the foxes going about their lives, and I can see the moon set right down into the rim of the world.

God bless America(ns)

3 comments: